Homecoming Week 2020

Mia Hahn, Editor-in-Chief

Lake Shore high school has always taken pride in their traditions. This year, the student body went above and beyond to make homecoming 2020 everything it can be for the students. Shorians took pride in being able to decorate their hallways and dress up in spirit wear, all leading up to Friday’s football matchup against the Lakeview Huskies.

Everything began on Monday when students met up to decorate the hallways. The homecoming theme this year: decades, and each class decorated their hallways in the styles of iconic eras. Good luck getting to the freshman hallway with one way staircases, but it was worth the trouble to see the upper floor of Lake Shore transported back to the 60’s. The sophomores took on the 80’s, and (even though they left last year’s paw prints!) they outdid themselves with decorations. Juniors took their hallway outside the old gym, and turned it into a 90’s time capsule. Students loved taking pictures with the juniors’ interactive photo spots. Ready to go the extra mile, the Senior class went full 70’s. The class of 2021 had no problem bringing disco fever back to Lake Shore, with enough bright lights, streamers, and disco balls to make students feel like they had gone back in time.

Teachers got a double dose of spirit days this week, and students had no issue only having to put together two spirited outfits. Tuesday and Wednesday were decades day. Shorians sure do know how to seize a photo opportunity, and showed so much love for the hallway decorations on social media. Each class had some pretty iconic fashion to live up to, and students dressed to impress. Shorians definitely raided their grandparents’ closets for jean jackets, vintage clothes, and funky jewelry, to show off their old school spirited style on Tuesday and Wednesday this week.

Thursday and Friday were Lake Shore day, always a student favorite. Students pulled out all their spirit gear to show their support before the big game. While decades day was an opportunity for some individuality, Lake Shore day was all about unity. Senior, Madison Cook said, “It was so important to be able to dress up for spirit week my senior year, it really brought back some positive energy during this weird school year.” 

Students of all grades came together to wear their red white and black for Lake Shore, and the hallways were a display of school pride. Shorians really came together as a student body on Thursday and Friday, and the energy leading up to the end of the week was electric.

Students put a lot of effort into making this homecoming week something special this year. With everything that had to be different, so many students were grateful to have, what is to many, an essential part of the high school experience. Whether it was your first homecoming week, or the last one you’ll ever have, this year will have so much to look back on, but seeking out the experiences that make high school memorable is up to you. Happy Homecoming Lake Shore! Whatever you do this weekend, do it safely.