Staying Occupied During The Summer

Presley Saleh, Staff Writer

The end of May is right around the corner, and June 16th will come around before we know it. This leaves many students to wonder, “What is there to do around Saint Clair Shores?” 

Whether one wants to prepare for next year’s curriculum, find a summer job, or even just have some fun with friends, there are many options people are bound to be interested in. While this area is familiar to most, there are still many open places and activities for anyone willing. Even more so, we are in Metro Detroit, so events like concerts and sports are taking place that should not be overlooked.

If you are looking for places to study, the Saint Clair Shores Public Library, or even your local library offers a free-of-charge environment of quietness. There are summer programs offered by local schools, even Lake Shore, in order to prepare for SATs. 

While some may not care about a summer job, they are great for experience and to earn some extra cash. Monica Bezel, Junior, explained, “You could babysit, dog walk, house sit, or even be a cashier.” Babysitting and dog walking are generally fun jobs that require little work.

If working is not on your roster, and you’d rather relax, looking for hangouts other than a friend’s home can be challenging. However, since the weather will be nice, it is a great time to enjoy the outdoors. Places on Jefferson such as Veterans Memorial Park or Champine Park offer cute, secluded areas for friends. Local elementary school playgrounds are always a great option as well. EOS, the coffee shop also on Jefferson, is a calm environment with seating enough for a large group of friends. While you’re there, you can grab some fresh food and drinks.

Every Wednesday, Memorial Park offers a “music in the park” festival for anyone to go to listen to live music.

There are other fun places to go to as well. Bezel continued, “You can go swimming or go to the beach.” The Saint Clair Shores pool on Jefferson is a great hangout, as long as you have proof of residency. Stony Creek, about a 40-minute drive from the high school, is the best bet for a beach around here.

There are always summer sports camps to keep you occupied as well.

If you love music, keep an eye on upcoming concerts as well. Concerts such as Chase Atlantic, Iron Maiden, Justin Bieber, Lil Nas X, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rex Orange County, The Killers, The Weekend, Twenty One Pilots, Wallows, and many more groups are coming to Detroit this summer.

The moral of the story is, that there is always a way to stay occupied this summer. Whether you do not have a group of friends, a car, or money, there are always loops around these things. Boredom is not the only option. Searching around the web can always give you great advice as well, but let’s enjoy this summer, even if every single day on the calendar isn’t full of plans.