The New Wonka Movie Review

The new Wonka movie has been highly anticipated since Warner Bros. announced its confirmation for release on December 15, 2023. Wonka serves as an origin story for Roald Dahl’s beloved chocolatier and golden-ticket-bestowing candy tycoon. 

Directed and written by Paul King, known for his work on Paddington, the film is set years before the events of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It introduces a fun, young, and free-spirited Willy Wonka portrayed by Timothée Chalamet, attempting to start his first shop. However, setbacks lead him to team up with a group of friends.

Diego Cervera, sophomore, said, “I was hoping to be like one of the franchise based movies. I don’t like musical movies, but it was very interesting, and I guess is good for the little kids who watch it. I had fun watching the movie.”

The movie features mild risk with life-or-death situations, including characters facing explosions or drownings. Additionally, there are comedic elements throughout the film. Two characters are held at gunpoint, and a gun is fired once, though not at a person. Also, a young friend named Noodle, played by Calah Lane, is locked up in a dark, dirty bird coop by one of the villains. 

On the romance front, there are a couple of kisses between supporting characters, and two mean-spirited characters flirt with each other. Overall, Wonka promises an exciting and adventurous exploration of the early life of the iconic Willy Wonka. This movie had a gross earning of $510 Million worldwide, and has also surpassed $500 Million in global ticket sales.

Overall, I think the movie is very entertaining. It is a musical film with an 83% rotten tomato review, and a ⅘ on Google Review.