NikkieTutorials Coming Out Controversy

Dylan Michael Moyer, Staff Writer

YouTuber and professional makeup artist, Nikkie Tutorials (Nikkie de Jager), recently made a “coming out” video stating that she is a transgender woman. 

de Jager is a twenty-five-year-old artist and has made makeup her career, she has partnered with Marc Jacobs Beauty as well. In one of her old YouTube videos titled “HOW I DID MY MAKEUP IN HIGH SCHOOL challenge”, is a top favorite video, she stated that she has been wearing makeup ever since she was a young teenager.

De Jager was blackmailed with threats of leaking her secret to the press. She came to the conclusion that she should probably finally tell her viewers. It takes courage to tell the world your story, especially being transgender. 

Her fans are most proud of her and most were in total shock! De Jager recently went on Ellen Degeneres, the famous worldwide television show, soon after she made her coming out video. 

“I can’t believe I am saying this today to all of you, for the entire world to see, but damn it feels good to finally do it. It’s time to let go and be truly free,” de Jager said in the video.

Within five hours of posting, the coming-out video was the top trending video on YouTube. Many of the viewers were so surprised by the topic of that content. The YouTuber stated that she felt like a girl as early as she can remember.

De Jager does state that she transitioned while on YouTube, which does seem very likely. Opening up to the world and sharing your secrets must feel like such great relief.

The world, specifically the United States, is finally revolutionizing for the better. Some countries do not accept the LGBTQ+ community, period. We are lucky to have come such a long way because of role models like de Jager.