LSHS Welcomes New Girls Unified Hockey Team

For the first time in the history of Lake Shore High School, a girls’ hockey team has finally been established. This team is a collaborative effort with Lakeview High School, and the Michigan High School Association has officially recognized it.

Coach Bowers said, “The initiative for the girls’ hockey team originated from the association on the shores. Upon their request, representatives from Lake Shore and Lakeview districts convened, recognizing the feasibility due to a higher number of interested girls.”

“The team is in its initial stages, with the first contest scheduled in two weeks. For details, refer to the Lake Shore Public Schools athletics section on their official website,” Bowers continued said.

Two team members, Natalie Kelly, junior, and Charley McIntyre, sophomore, shared their perspectives on this groundbreaking endeavor. Kelly said, “Our season has encountered difficulties due to a high number of new players and a shortage of experienced ones. Nevertheless, I believe we are improving with each game.”

McIntyre said, ”I think that the Lakeview girls on the team are really nice and really good. I joined it because I thought it would be fun to try something new. I think our season is going to go well, but we are versing harder teams.”

This year, everybody on the hockey team is very excited for the season to start. The girls have put a lot of work in, and they have the passion and desire to succeed this hockey season.