Lake Shore High School ESport Championships

In an exhilarating display of skill and strategy, Lake Shore High School ESport gamers made it to The Michigan High School Esports Federation (MiHSEF) Spring State Finals on May 4th, 2024. The event brought together the best teams across the state, showcasing the immense talent of young gamers.

68 teams participated in MiHSEF State Championships with over 350 students represented. 

Lake Shore High School ESports Head Coach, Shayne Trail, talks about the excitement taking place in the venue. “The state finals were held at the University of Michigan-Flint, and it is the largest esports event in the Midwest. The venue’s atmosphere was loud, intense, and exciting, creating a unique environment that amplified the competition.”

The Lake Shore ESports team participates in many popular games such as Valorant, Mario Kart, Madden, NBA 2K, and League of Legends. MiHSEF invited Lake Shore to compete in Rocket League and super smash bros ultimate for the state championships. 

Lake Shore has made major improvements in competing this season. Trail explained, “They earned State Finalist Medals, with the Rocket League team securing 4th place out of 50 teams statewide. The Smash team made it to the third round in the tournament, which is a huge improvement from last season.”

While an official Esports team is new to Lake Shore, Trail has noticed how being on the team has affected our gamers and insists on how inclusive our team is, “Being on the team has helped the players grow both academically and personally.  They’ve improved by passing classes, reducing absenteeism, and finding joy in school. The program is looking for good people who have a passion for gaming. You don’t have to be competitive as we are looking for anyone interested in gaming. If you video edit, write, broadcast, live stream, vlog, or are interested in being an influence, you have a spot in this program.”

The Lake Shore ESports team is an equal-opportunity sport that helps students grow in more ways than just gaming. The team welcomes students to join and is welcome to big competitions just like this.