The Student News Site of Lake Shore High School

The Shoreline

The Shoreline

The Shoreline

Polls

Who is visiting LSHSShoreline.com?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

LSHS Pole Vaulting Club: Soaring Into New Opportunities

Lake Shore High School is starting a pole vaulting club! Currently, only one student, Megan Morell, is the star of the sport here at Lake Shore. Anyone else who would be interested in this exhilarating sport, has a great opportunity this Spring. 

Megan Morell, junior, shared her love for the sport, “I like the sport because it’s to challenge myself to go higher and higher. There’s nothing quite like it in terms of the both mental and physical strength you need.” 

Lake Shore High School is always willing to help students chase their dreams and aspirations by supporting them by allowing them to start clubs and find others who share the same passions. 

Additionally, Coach Richard Bowers shared some intel on the club. “The club is designed to train those that are interested in learning how to pole vault and others to sharpen their skills.” 

The love of pole vaulting has been passed down through genetics for Morell. She said, “My dad, Paul Morell runs the club. He competed in track and field at Saginaw Valley State University and pole vaulted for them.” 

This club has been an amazing opportunity for Morell to share her fondness for this sport with her dad, all while he gets to see her become more and more interested in something he was when he was around her age. 

Morell said, “Meets will take place during the track season in spring,” she continued, “In a competition, you can choose to start at whatever height you want. As you clear each height, the bar continues to go up and up. You get three attempts at each height and if you don’t make it, you are out of the competition. The person that jumps the highest wins the meet.”

Pole vaulting is truly an underrated sport. It’s exciting both to participate and watch, and it takes a lot of skill to excel in the sport. 

For anyone curious about joining the club Bowers said, “They can come down to the athletic office and sign up/pick up a flyer for information.” 

If you’re an athlete who loves an adrenaline rush, or you’re just looking for something fun to do, join Lake Shore High School’s pole vaulting club!