Tanski’s Variety of Career Paths

Many Students at Lake Shore High School are ready to graduate. Some ready to go to college, and some not. There are many variables of possibilities students can choose to do after school, but for those who don’t know what they are going to do, here is an opportunity for you. Karah Tanski, Lake Shore’s College Advisor, is offering endless opportunities to help students achieve what they are capable of.

Tanski said, “Macomb has a lot of trades to offer. They also have one of the best welding programs in the state, and it’s a two year program. Also, on the 17th of April, we have Schools to Tools. It’s a mobile field trip where they bring a huge semi-truck, and it gives students the opportunity to try out 7 different trades.”

Tanski initiates events like these so students can try out these activities hoping that they might find a career or even a hobby after they depart from Lake Shore. 

Tanski said, “There is the Michigan Achievement Skills Scholarship that just started this year. The state of Michigan is giving out $4,000 to students who want to do a technical trade program. All you have to do to get that money is fill out the application for the free student aid [FAFSA] . That’s how you get aid to go to trade school or college, depending on the study, that $4,000 could pay for your class in full.”

Tanski is aiding Lake Shore in hopes that these kids will find a larger scale of opportunities in their future, no matter the circumstances they are in, college or even trades. 

Tanski said, “There are also scholarships available for Lake Shore students only, whether it’s for trade school or college.Sometimes there’s stipulations on them, but for the most part, they will cut you a check as long as you have a secondary plan. So, those smaller ones are the ones you should look for.”

Tanksi’s efforts are far above expectations as she is getting help for the countless students of Lake Shore.

Tanski said, “My advice towards students who might not be going to college is that you should figure out what kind of trade or field of work you want to do, so then fresh out of high school you can start that right away. Because, you don’t want to wait around a year or two because it will be very hard for you to get back into the swing of things. There is too much money in trades and other work fields that you shouldn’t be worried about finding a good job; I would take advantage of it. 

Tanski’s advice to college students is to jump in your work field. Don’t let yourself get lazy as it will result in bad habits

Tanski will continue to thrive at Lake Shore as she has given so much opportunity to our students. Students should take advantage of these opportunities!