Shorian Senior Traditions

There are so many different end of year senior traditions for the Shorians such as the skip day, walking through the past schools’ halls, postcards, senior sunset etc. Shorian students and staff have events and traditions that they most look forward to.

Janelle Bross, principal of Lake Shore High School, said, “My favorite one is the senior walk after graduation rehearsal, where we go around to all the buildings. Just seeing all the seniors getting hugs and love from all the little ones and their former teachers.

Aaliyah Werth, senior at Lake Shore, said, “I am excited to walk through my past middle and elementary school.”

Bross has experienced the traditions many times before so she is able to identify which one is her favorite and why. While Werth cannot say much about the tradition because she has not experienced it yet, she is excited to experience them.

Bross said, “I think it’s just a celebration of everything the seniors have done. I don’t think people give high school graduates enough credit’. Is a long time to earn that degree, and so I think it’s something really special that we do.”

Werth said, “It’s celebrating me getting the hell out of this place and celebrating my high school experience.” 

Both of them say that their favorite end-of-year senior tradition is a celebration. The senior students have been in school for 13 years, they have been through a lot and it’s a lot of work to get there. It is only right that they see the last days of them being a high school student as a celebration. 

Bross said, “I just hope they feel proud of themselves for what they’ve done. This is like one of life’s huge first milestones; I just hope they feel excited for what’s next.”

The seniors have been in school for as long as they can remember, now they are becoming independent adults. It is a huge adjustment but also an accomplishment. Everyone is figuring out what is coming after high school, the future is in their hands so they get to choose what is next.