10 Things To Do During Summer in Michigan

Michigan is a summer paradise with stunning natural landscapes, lively festivals, and exciting attractions. Whether you’re a local or visiting, here are some top activities and events that will make your summer unforgettable.

1. Music on the Lake in Saint Clair Shores

Music on the Lake is a delightful summer concert series situated on the shores of Lake Saint Clair. The event features live performances showcasing a diverse range of musical genres performed by local bands and artists. Attendees can bask in the beautiful setting, taking in the stunning views and feeling the cool breeze coming off the lake. The community atmosphere makes it a perfect event for families, couples, and friends to enjoy together.

2. Go-Kart Track at C.J. Barrymore’s in Shelby Township

C.J. Barrymore’s, a popular family entertainment center, has introduced an exciting new 3-story go-kart track. The state-of-the-art track offers a thrilling racing experience with its modern, well-designed layout. It’s a perfect outing for families and friends as it’s suitable for all ages. In addition to the go-kart track, visitors can enjoy a variety of other activities at C.J. Barrymore’s, including mini-golf, bumper boats, and arcade games.

3. Selfridge Air Show

Remember to mark your calendars for June 8th and 9th, when the Selfridge Air Show will take place in Harrison Township. This event is free to attend and will feature exciting aerial performances by both military and civilian aircraft. You can expect to see thrilling aerobatics, displays of vintage aircraft, and demonstrations of modern fighter jets. The air show also includes static displays where you can get a close look at various aircraft and meet pilots and crew members. This is a great opportunity for people of all ages to learn about aviation history and technology while enjoying a thrilling experience.

4. Ann Arbor Art Fair

The Ann Arbor Art Fair happens every July and is one of the biggest art fairs in the country. It lasts for four days, from the 18th through the 20th, and turns downtown Ann Arbor into a lively gallery. More than 1,000 artists from all over the US show their art, including paintings, sculptures, and jewelry. Visitors can buy unique pieces and enjoy live music, street performances, and interactive art activities. There are also food vendors offering a variety of delicious treats, making it a cultural and culinary feast for all ages.

5. Sterlingfest in Sterling Heights

Sterlingfest is an annual summer festival on July 25th, 26th, and 27th. It brings the community together with arts and crafts exhibits, featuring handmade crafts and artwork from local artists, live music performances from regional and national bands across multiple stages, delicious food options from local vendors, and family activities including fun rides, games, and activities for kids and adults alike.

6. Cheeseburger Festival in Caseville

The Cheeseburger Festival in Caseville, Michigan, held every August 9th through the 18th, celebrates all things cheeseburger in tribute to Jimmy Buffett’s “Cheeseburger in Paradise.” The festival features gourmet cheeseburgers from local vendors, a parade, live music, and performances. It offers family-friendly activities like carnival rides and games, with adults enjoying competitions and local brews. Located on Lake Huron’s shores, visitors can enjoy beach time and the festival. This community celebration blends food, entertainment, and beach-time relaxation, promising a memorable summer experience for all.

7. Sleeping Bear Dunes

Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is a stunning destination that offers a wide range of outdoor activities and breathtaking scenery. Visitors can challenge themselves by hiking up the massive dunes, taking in the views along the Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive, and enjoying swimming, hiking, and picnicking in this beautiful natural setting. It’s a perfect place for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts to explore and immerse themselves in the beauty of the great outdoors.

8. Go to the Beach

Michigan is home to numerous stunning beaches along its Great Lakes shoreline. Some popular spots to visit include Grand Haven State Park, known for its soft sand and picturesque lighthouse, Holland State Park, famous for its beautiful beach and stunning sunsets, and Silver Lake Sand Dunes, which offers the perfect blend of relaxation and adventure activities. Whether you’re seeking a lazy beach day or an action-packed adventure, Michigan’s beaches have something for everyone to enjoy.

9. Explore the Great Lakes

The Great Lakes offer a wide range of opportunities for exploration and adventure. Whether you choose to rent a boat and chart your course or join a sailing tour to experience the vastness of the lakes, there are plenty of options to suit your interests. Additionally, the Great Lakes are renowned for offering some of the best freshwater fishing in the world, and you can also try your hand at kayaking and paddleboarding to take in the natural beauty of the lakes from a different perspective.

10. Red Oaks Waterpark in Madison Heights

Looking for a cool escape from the summer heat? Consider visiting Red Oaks Waterpark in Madison Heights. This water park has many things to offer, including a wave pool, water slides, a lazy river, and a children’s splash pad. Whether you want excitement or relaxation, Red Oaks has something for everyone. The park also has picnic areas and food stands, making it a great place for a family outing. With its well-kept facilities and friendly atmosphere, Red Oaks Waterpark promises a fun and refreshing summer experience.

Michigan offers a variety of summer activities, including live performances, air shows, go-kart racing, festivals, beach relaxation, Great Lakes exploration, and art experiences. From community events to natural scenery, Michigan has something for everyone.