The New And Improved LSHS Art Club

Art is a subject that many students of Lake Shore High School are very passionate about. Back and better than ever, the Art Club is up and running again this year!

Led by a new member of the Lake Shore staff, Ingrida Kamis, LSHS art teacher. 

Art Club will meet once a week on Mondays. Art Club will be student-led, so the Art Club leadership team will direct the meetings and set the agenda,” she said. 

With all of the ongoing construction, unfortunately, some of the previous artwork found throughout the halls of Lake Shore High School has been covered up and removed, for the sake of renovations. There is a bright side though; this year, the Art Club is planning on filling those newly blank canvases with fresh murals and artwork. 

“The art club is going to focus on creating murals on the two small temporary walls at the start of the year,” Kamis said. 

Christina Johnson, senior, has been a part of the Art Club since last year. She really enjoys expressing her artistic side, in class, and through the Art Club. 

“I joined the club because I am taking art this year, so I thought, why not join the club again as well,” Johnson said. 

Johnson is looking forward to creating a lot of new things this year, a big thing for that she mentioned, “I hope this year I can make something for my house that I can put up on display.” 

Having your own creations out on display is always an amazing way to make yourself feel proud of the creative initiative taken to make such beautiful things. Johnson hasn’t done many projects in the past years of being in the club, so naturally, that is another personal goal she has for herself this year as a member of the Art Club. 

Hannah Flynn, senior, is also in the Art Club. While this is Flynn’s first year being a part of the club, she is very excited to let her artistic skills shine in the work she looks forward to partaking in. 

“I am passionate about art because it is an opportunity to create something new. I also enjoy art for the colorfulness, the vibrancy is something that really speaks to me,” Flynn said. 

Obtaining happiness through bright environments are methods that many people utilize sometimes for mental health, or just to make one day a lot more exciting. Flynn also noted she enjoys showing her artistic side through painting, which is a very well-loved art form.  

Sophia Moyaert, junior, is considering joining the Art Club. Moyaert loves everything and anything art-related. 

“An art form I really enjoy and am good at is using oil pastels. It’s super easy when I apply it on paper and the textures I add always turn out really good,” Moyaert said. 

Moyaert is down to work with any type of art materials, but the smooth and simple usage of oil pastels never fails to be her favorite creative tool. Moyaert recalled an oil pastel painting she did of her cat, which was one of her proudest moments in creating artwork. 

“I am very passionate about art because art is art. No matter what, there’s never bad art. There are different ways of expressing feelings on paper, sculptures, and so much more. It’s just such an incredible outlet to let your imagination and creativity run wild,” Moyaert said. 

Kamis also stated, “It is going to be a fun club, but we are also going to be doing big projects. If you plan to join the Art Club we want you to participate and be a part of the group.”

Taking that into consideration, while the club is a fun and creative opportunity, like any club, it is a commitment. So, if you are a devoted artist, or just a person looking for a creative outlet that is convenient, Lake Shore High School’s Art Club is the extracurricular for you!