Shorians Reflect On New Year’s Resolutions

As the clock struck midnight on New Year’s Eve, many Shorians made resolutions to improve themselves in the new year. But, how many of these resolutions will actually be kept? Shorians share their aspirations, motivations, and progress towards these goals. 

Giana Fett, a determined senior, set very ambitious resolutions this year, encompassing physical and intellectual growth. Fett said, “My New Year’s resolutions are to get in shape, increase my maxes for lifting, and to read at least 16 books.” 

She mentioned that she is dedicated to these goals to overcome self-consciousness and foster a healthier lifestyle all around. Meanwhile, her goal to read books shows the importance of maintaining habits you enjoy even amidst a busy schedule, with work, school and the gym. 

She said, “My progress so far is pretty good. I’ve worked out almost every day and I’ve been eating much healthier and sticking to a lower calorie, higher protein diet than I was. It’s difficult sometimes with temptations.”

Fett’s structured approach and self-awareness in managing temptations highlight her commitment to achieving her resolutions. She said she believes, “New Year’s resolutions are as effective as you make them. If you set crazy goals or don’t apply yourself to actually achieving the goals you set, you’re not going to accomplish anything. If you stay disciplined, have a plan to achieve the goals you set, and set realistic resolutions, then New Year’s resolutions will totally benefit you and be effective.”

Meanwhile, Julian Smith, a junior, expresses a very concise resolution: to be at school. His goal is very straightforward but arises from his realization that consistent attendance is important. 

He said wanted to achieve this due to the fact “I wasn’t at school last year.” 

He states his friends and family are his main motivators, and he would say that New Year’s resolutions are effective. 

Megan Morell, another junior, has a similar resolution this year. Morell said, “My New Year’s resolution is to lock into school in the second semester.”

Her acknowledgment of the need to prioritize academic success has been reflected in her recent grades. 

She continues, “My progress is starting off good, I did well in the midterms.”

Morell’s perspective on New Year’s resolutions are very similar to those of Fett’s, as she said, “New Year’s resolutions are as good as you make them.”

Junior, Ava Kozak, said her goal this year is to, “ read more. I also have a goal of reading 36 books this year, 3 each month. So far, this resolution is getting accomplished. I have been reading more and will probably end up exceeding my goal since I have finished reading two books already.” 

However, she believes that resolutions are effective when fueled by sustained motivation and commitment, echoing what many other Shorians previously stated. Kozak’s early success exemplifies that the outcomes are achievable, as she is genuinely dedicated to her resolution. 

In reflection, Shorians believe resolutions are effective, as long as you are willing to put in the work. As these students navigate their way through their resolutions, it is clear that success is not just about setting goals but, more importantly, dedication. So, will they achieve their goals by the end of 2024?