The Student News Site of Lake Shore High School

The Shoreline

The Shoreline

The Shoreline

Polls

Who is visiting LSHSShoreline.com?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Advice For Incoming Freshmen

Starting high school is a big milestone. It can be exciting and intimidating. The new surroundings and expectations may be overwhelming, but with the right mindset, students can make the most of their high school experience.

To navigate these four years successfully, students need to get off to a good start. They also need to possess more than just intelligence; they require a combination of stability and a good work ethic. One thing that could benefit incoming freshmen is receiving advice from upperclassmen who have already gone through the experience.

Friendships are a big part of everyone’s freshman year. The transition from middle school to high school comes with all sorts of gains and losses of friends. 

Current Senior, Kayleigh Carr, expands on this idea and says, “One thing I wish I would’ve known when I was a freshman is that it is okay to make new friends and step out of your friend zone and comfort zone.”

One of the biggest things that can prevent success is drama. Senior, Mackenzie Rea, says, “Watch who you are friends with, trust your gut, and keep your circle small.” 

The most important thing to do as a freshman is to keep a few people close and focus on your work.

Unfortunately, friendships can come with drama. Senior, Kirsten Dunn, says, “I wish I knew how to stay out of drama. Don’t get into drama. You don’t need drama; it is stressful.” 

She has a good point. Drama can cause issues and stress you out. High school is stressful enough; adding drama to the mix will just cause issues.

Friendships aren’t the only thing to think about coming into high school. The workload is a shift from middle school to high school. The skill level has as much to do with it as the amount. The last thing any teenager wants to do when they get home is schoolwork. That’s why it is important to stay caught up. 

Carr says, “Advice I’d give is, go to school and do your work. You want to stay caught up.” 

Falling behind is one of the worst things you can do. It will leave you stressed and you might have a hard time catching up.

Starting high school can be challenging, but these years have the potential to be some of the most enjoyable of your life. What matters most is that you make the most of it. Give it your all, keep your friends close, and you’ll easily get through it. Good luck!

View Comments (2)