Enlisting Shorians

Enlisting+Shorians

Vivienne Antishin, Staff Writer

Each year there are many Lake Shore High School Seniors that decide to join a military branch after graduation. This year is no exception.

Alec Paras decided to go into the United States Navy. He said, “I’m enlisting in the Navy for engine men, because I always wanted to work on engines. I’m excited about getting out of the house and sailing the world.”

Paras leaves August 6th for Basic Combat Training.

Another Senior that enlisted was Courtney Colley. She decided to go into the Army National Guard. She explains, “I originally wanted to enlist because of financial reasons. I want to study pre-med, and it is obviously a very expensive major to choose so I had to explore all of my options and the one that made the most sense to do was enlist.Then after I enlisted, I realized that there is so much more behind my decision because now it has nothing to do with finances but more so about the experience and service.” 

Colley says, “I am most excited about the adventurous aspect of it all because I like to do things out of my comfort zone. I think the part that I would say I am most nervous about is the physical portion of training like all of the pushups and running, but I see women with the same build as me doing it so that helps motivate me. I am scheduled to leave for basic training on July 27th 2020.” 

I enlisted into the Army to experience new things and to get out of my comfort zone. I’m excited about seeing the world, meeting new people. I’m mostly nervous about how my whole world is going to change after I leave for Basic Training on July 20th, 2020 to Fort Sill. 

I am proud to serve for the United States Army and thankful for all the other Shorians that are serving or have served.