Pulice Takes on Physical Therapy Course

Meica Felczak, Senior Editor

Brooke Pulice, a senior at Lake Shore High School, attends both Lake Shore High School and Frederick V. Pankow Center within the L’Anse Creuse district. With taking off campus classes, this allows people to take different classes that Lake Shore does not offer.

Pulice studies Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine while away at the Pankow Center. Within the class they learn about: the skeletal , muscular and nervous system; how to walk someone on crutches and a walker; medical terminology; how to perform CPR on children and adults; how to use an AED; and how to understand the range of motion and use of particular muscles. 

Pulice explained, “I love the class it is super fun and the teacher is very encouraging and plays a lot of games with the class.  Knowing how the body works and how to do therapy on others helps a lot.” 

When going off campus for a class the person has to find a ride or drive themselves. Pulice drives herself every morning to that class and back to Lake Shore. The person also has to have more responsibility to go to the class and represent our school at the other school. 

She said, “I like going off campus, I just hate the drive and how far it is.”

Pulice said that this class is very beneficial to anyone going into physical therapy and sports medicine, or even nursing and occupational therapy. This class focuses more on the things that a physical therapist does rather than a nurse or doctor. The medical career class here at Lake Shore just focuses on what nurses and doctors learn. 

Pulice plans on going to college for either sports medicine or business, so this class will help her get ahead in her studies for college.